Monday, April 14, 2008

On the Hunt

Yesterday was location scouting. Seven of the crew came, so we split up into two groups and explored what Austin had to offer us. Both parties were on a mission to find the right locations for certain scenes. This film requires a specific look and feel, and if the locations don't fit right, it will ruin the film. I need the backdrop of this film to match, to compliment, to supplement, to make the picture whole. One very important location is the abandoned building where Copperfield is interrogated by Saul and his men. Arthur, Russ, and I searched and found some very suitable places. Our first was an abandoned building that we saw on our way to another place. It took us forever to get there because it was in the corner of several loops and turnarounds. It was an abandoned building alright. We found a way in through a side door, and tentatively walked around. It brought me back to my high school days when my friends and I would go urban exploring at night through creepy buildings. This one was rather decrepit and ripped up, it had a very "I am Legend" feel to it. But it still wasn't quite right. The next destination was provided by Arthur, where an old abandoned elementary school was, this place was eerily amazing. It was several buildings/classrooms in an open green field, (very akin to "The Others" village in LOST), and it was dead quiet, no activity anywhere. We would went through some of the buildings, these provided a better look than the last one. But still not quite what I wanted. It had a heavy post-apocolyptic look, school supplies, children's drawings, and the like were scattered in the rooms, like everybody just got up and left. I was so impressed with the whole place that just from the location, it inspired me with a feature length movie idea--"Zombie High". Yes, I indulge myself sometimes. it was a great place, a good back up, but still not good enough. Our last stop was a building that I just found a couple of days ago, near campus. It was an old abandoned shoe shop, we found an open door, and it was perfect! The naked floor boards, dusty windows, and stained walls just oozed Ezekial's "cloudy and dark day"(34:12). We're in the works of contacting the property owners, wish us luck in getting it locked!

No comments: